CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, January 29, 2009

Little bits of my Heaven

I can't believe how wonderful the Internet is! I have found so many friends that I thought were lost. It's almost like heaven. I really thought I wouldn't hear from those friends until we all made it to heaven. I just wish I could think about them and then, "poof", be near them too!

Last night I made Baked Potato Soup. That is heavenly also. It brings so much happiness to the table. Full bellies and no complaining!! And it is one of those recipes that are cheap to make. When it is warm again and I can garden it will be even cheaper. The only thing is I need a pig. . . so I can grow my own bacon.

Gardening has been filling my brain with interesting questions lately. I know, it's freezing outside, but don't fresh tomatoes and peas from the garden sound heavenly? I was thinking of doing a little garden. Then I looked through a seed catalog and there are so many seeds!!! I want beans, carrots, broccoli, beets, potatoes, corn. . . that's not a little garden. If it's warm . . . look for me in my garden! Did you know you can leave the carrots in the ground all winter and just pull them out when you want to eat one? I told you I have been asking interesting questions. I'm lucky to have two grandmas and a fabulous father that have lots of gardening experience. I'm tired of paying someone else to grow my food!! I'm taking it on (don't we hope my family doesn't starve!)

So here's the recipe if you want to taste a little bit of heaven. Make some extra potatoes while you're baking them. They are great fried in butter for breakfast! (Mine this morning was really fattening - it's great for waking you up a bit.)

Baked Potato Soup
2 medium potatoes, baked and cooled
1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
2 tablespoons sour cream
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 tablespoon crumbled cooked bacon or bacon bits
1 green onion, sliced

Peel potatoes and cut into 1/2-in. cubes; place half in a blender. Add
broth; cover and process until smooth. Pour into a saucepan. Stir in
sour cream, pepper and remaining potatoes. Cook over low heat until
heated through (do not boil). Garnish with cheese, bacon and onion.
Yield: 2 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment